I was hoping to have the Grid display on the map working for this version, it is just
about ready but I needed to release the version to fix some bugs before it was quite
There are a few minor bugs and numerous minor enhancements that people have reported or
requested which I have not had time to do yet.
- 3.73g.4 version only
- Symbols for GPS III+ would not download correctly - now fixed.
- MapView button was not down when mapview was displayed on program load - now fixed.
- also see the changes in the changes section below.
- 3.73g.3 version only
- Major Fix - Finally found the bug which caused the map to get a mosaic pattern
when scrolling vertically using the scroll arrows. This bug has been around for some time
but I could never duplicate it, finally found a PC which gave the problem (mine with NT4)
and it was then easy to fix.
- Major Fix - Found the problem which caused the "Access Violation" when
quitting Oziexplorer, a problem with mapview still be called after it was closed.
- Fixed "printing" and "saving map image to bitmap" when using PNG
- Fixed printing of maps with the "Area Calculation" track showing, the area
track will now print in the correct place.
- 3.73g.2 version only
- Fixed a bug with OziMC editing of Water bodies with City Streets CD. This is the only
major change for g2.
- There has been a bug in the printing for some time, it would miss a couple of
millimetres at the edge or bottom of the page, this only affected some printers and was
caused by larger than expected non-printing margins in the printer. Oziexplorer now checks
these margins and adjusts to suit.
- Could not stop "Conditions of Use" screen being displayed - now fixed.
- If files attached to the map did not exist or caused an error the map could not be
loaded - now fixed, the map will still load so the attached files can be fixed.
- For Garmins the Merge waypoints from GPS option did not get the waypoint description -
- Special UTM Zone 32 for Norway has been fixed and will now give the correct zone for the
south western area of the country.
- I found a problem with communications for NT4 that has been around for some time and
fixed it. I cannot guarantee this was the only problem but my test NT4 PC which did not
work before the fix now works ok.
- many, many other minor fixes.
- 3.73g.4 version only
- A hook has been added to enable Oziexplorer to get its NMEA position information from a
file, see the help section Moving Map File Hook for APRS etc
for all the details. I have demo VB5 program source available to show how to do it, I hope
I remember to upload it.
- Auto Pilot NMEA output has had some subtle changes, there is also an option on the
Navigation menu to view the output.
- The printing of the Route line width can now be set on the printing dialog.
- There is now an option to erase the Recent Map list on the Load Menu.
- The last directory you used to load maps or data files is now remembered the next time
Oziexplorer is started, not sure if I like this one or not. Note that map finding still
uses the Map file path in configuration.
- The find map function was a bit tight on how close the adjacent maps to the N,S E or W
had to be, I think this caused maps to be missed, especially if they had wide margins
(neat lines), I have now increased this limit by a factor of 5, this means very very small
maps (<500 pixels wide/deep) will be missed but this may not be a problem anyway.
- 3.73g version
- I have been experimenting with DGPS and discovered that using "moving map"
with a Lowrance/Eagle GPS required the GPS to be initialised, this could not be done if
the DGPS Beacon Receiver was connected to the GPS as well. The Lowrance units now are no
longer initialised when starting "moving map" mode.
- Area calc now is additive, you can draw more than 1 area, break the track into sections
using the usual options.
- In the Waypoint List - "Delete in Not on Map" becomes "Select if Not on
map", this allows more options, as an example you could invert the selection and then
send the selected waypoints to the GPS. You can still delete the waypoints, just select
first then use the Delete button.
- The extra symbols for the GPS III+ including the latest Garmin software (version 2.02 I
think) are now included, there is a new GPS model in configuration for the III+.
- For OziMC there is new multi polygon editing.
- The PNG (Portable Network Graphics) image format is now supported. This is a highly
compressed format which has no licensing problems. Programs such as paint Shop Pro can
write and convert images to this format. You need to download the dll file (lpng.dll) in
pngdll.zip to get this access. Put the dll in the Oziexplorer directory.
- There are a lot of internal changes which are not visible but hopefully will work
- Removed bug where Man Overboard and Marker waypoints for "moving map" were not
working. This was a bug put into a recent upload of 3.73e.
- Track download for Magellans was not converting the datum properly, probably only in
version 3.73+, now fixed.
- It is now possible to display up to 30 tracks at once (registered users) - track 6 on
the track control now acts as a variable track number, select a new number and load a
track, select another number and load a track etc. Its a bit tedious but it was quick to
implement this way.
- Provision has been made to try and support the Tripmate GPS by outputting the code
needed to start this GPS outputting NMEA. You must create a file called tripmate.dat (it
doesn't matter what is in the file), OziExplorer will check for the existence of this file
and if found will indicate a Tripmate GPS is being used. Select GPS type in OziExplorer
GPS configuration as NMEA Only. There is a delay of 5 seconds while OziExplorer waits for
the Tripmate to startup.
- The red cross mark that used to remain when measuring distances has been removed.
- The date/time collected for tracks when doing moving map mode now comes from the GPS
(nmea data), it is stored in the data file as UTC time but is displayed as local time. The
conversion from UTC time to local time uses the time offset in Windows which you would
have setup when you installed Windows, you may like to check if this is correct by
clicking on the time in the Task Bar Tray.
- Now possible to set a color for track replay.
- Removed minor bug where NMEA simulator "here" initial position could not be
set if "map drag" button was depressed.
- Added new options to waypoint list for working with selected waypoints, "Save
Selected to File", "Send Selected to GPS", "Select None",
"Select All", "Invert Selection".
- Can now read 1 bit (2 color, black and white) TIF files.
- Added all the supported Grid systems to the OziExplorer Export Waypoints options.
Beta 3.73d.1 & .2
Just bug fixes for version 3.73d
- Night vision had a bug when changing maps after turning off the night vision, the
previous map palette was used instead of the new one. This resulted in random colors in
the map or mapview. This was fixed, also the colors of mapview were being changed, this
has also been fixed, but there were many changes made to fix these problems and new bugs
may have been added.
- The Docked moving map control would not let you use the cursor keys to scroll the map
after using a field on the control. This has been fixed and the way the controls work when
docked has been changed slightly.
- The Irish Grid did not work correctly when calibrating maps using the grid, now fixed.
- (.2) Number of Neat line points in BSB charts had to be increased for some maps.
- Last Map Projection remembered but Option button was not enabled.
- BSB Datums have been sorted out to some degree, you should not get any more "datum
not supported" messages.
- The correct datum was not always selected for NDI charts if the georeferencing had been
changed from the original source map datum (not NAD83) to NAD83.
- If you had 1 waypoint loaded and deleted it from within the wp list OziExplorer would
never give control back, traced the problem to a bug in an internal Delphi command and
have coded a fix for it.
- Find Maps to north,south,east or west did not work correctly for BSB charts, now fixed
- There is now an option to "Append visible Waypoints from File". This
option will only load waypoints which will be located on the currently loaded map.
- A basic Track Replay facility has been added (experimental).
- Map Objects (Waypoints, Events, Map Comments and Map Features) will not be printed on
the map if they are hidden on the screen.
- Right click on the position display and alternate grid display (above the map) to
change the display format. These changes are not remembered the next time Oziexplorer is
run, use the configuration to do this.
- It is now possible to print a map without the map image itself being printed, the
waypoints, tracks etc are printed, good for making overlays etc.
- There is now a "Night Vision" mode (red screen) and the ability to
change the intensity of the screen, these can be considered experimental at this
- NMEA output for AutoPilots etc has been added, the RMC,RMB and APB sentences are
output. Just experimental at this stage, give it a go and let
me know if it works or not.
- BSB import has many changes mainly to do with datums. The ability to shift the
georeferencing back to the source map datum (if it was changed to WGS84 or NAD83) has
been added. See the "Importing and Using BSB Charts" help (options section) for
- A right click on the MapView window has a new option which will allow you to display
the map corner markers with the map extents (neat line) drawn in blue.
- You now have the ability to "dock" the "Moving map Control" and
the "Navigation Control" to the right side of the screen. This option
defaults to "on" in configuration (on the "moving map" tab). Your
screen needs to be in at least 800x600 mode to see both controls fully when docked. It
works so much better ,I should have done it ages ago.
- The Man Over Board (MOB) waypoint creation now puts you automatically into
navigation mode and keeps you there until cancelled.
- The normal navigation mode will no longer cancel itself when you end the route,
it will warn you that the route is complete but you must cancel the navigation manually.
- There is a new button on the "Moving Map Control" to "Find" maps at
moving map position.
- This change actually happened in an earlier version but I forgot to mention it. For the
"Track Distance" version 3.70 calculates the distance for the entire length of
track, including breaks between track sections. Later versions calculate the length not
including the breaks between sections which I think is the correct way to do it. So if you
compare tracks with breaks between the versions the calculated distance will be different.
- Track upload for the Magellan models which support this has been done. It has
been tested with a ColorTrak with ROM version 2.04. I believe only ColorTraks and Trackers
with at least this ROM version can upload tracks.
- When downloading the trackpoints from Garmins the date for the track points was not
being calculated correctly (was 2 years ahead), should now be fixed.
- The date of downloaded waypoints from Garmins was undefined, it is now set to the date
and time when it is downloaded.
- Under certain conditions when a route is being plotted and is considerable distance from
the viewinng area, usually not on the current map, it can cause the map to fill with a
color, this is a result of the x,y coordinates of the route line being out of range
(overflowed). This problem may have been corrected.
- When using a map at a certain level of zoom and then change to a different map which is
larger it may not allow the same level of zoom, this resulted in a white screen. This has
been corrected and the new map will default to a zoom level of 100 if the current zoom
level is not supported.
- Sould now be able to import the TVA DRG maps (USA based), OziExplorer will now be able
to read the metadata (.met) files supplied with these maps. The process is automatic,
simply import as any other DRG maps.
- When importing BSB charts some .map files were not created because of filename
duplication, now fixed.
- Appending track point files had a problem where the first and 2nd track points in the
file were set as "new Track sections" instead of just the first point, fixed.
- The GPS III Pilot support had a bug in the Route Waypoint upload, the correct record
length was not being set, the effect of this bug is not known.
- The waypoint names upload now allows all characters which the GPS III can use to be used
(if you have GPS III selected of course)..
Versions 3.71 and 3.72 were only released for use with OziMC.
This version is very much a Beta, very little testing for most of the changes.
- When using tracks from the Lowrance GDM software, it would not get them correctly, a
problem was found and corrected, the fix has not been extensively tested.
- You can now save the blank map as a bmp file with all objects,tracks etc saved on the
image. This caused an error in 3.70.
- You can now load a saved "blank map", in 3.70 this reported an image file not
- .Other minor fixes
- 3.73a - added altitude to Moving Map display - not required for marine use so I
will see if I can make the moving map display configurable when I redesign it.
- BSB support has been done, read the help file, give it a try and let me know of
any problems. You import BSB Charts on the File/Import Map Option.
- This version of OziExplorer has all the hooks necessary for use with the OziMC software.
- A User Datum facility has been added see Adding User Datums help.
- The date and time has been added to the tracks, it is downloaded with the track from
Garmins, added to track points created when using "moving map", etc. I am
working on a track replay facility but it was not ready in time.
- The entire track point handling system has been modified, there is now no limit to the
number of trackpoints per track, the limit is now the resources and speed of the PC. This
has meant large modifications to this code, so there may be new bugs. The track control
now has additional options including the ability to make selected track points active so
they can be manipulated. This also includes saving active track points to a file. Be aware
that even though OziExplorer can now handle all these track points you can only upload the
number which your GPS supports.
- There is now the ability to append a track loaded from a file to the current track.
- The track control now has an additional button bar which is mostly empty, this is where
the new buttons for track replay will be placed.
- The track control now has an option in the configuration to specify how it is initially
displayed, just button bar, button bar + track 1, or full view.
- There are new buttons on the Track Control for track manipulation, setting active
points, stuff like that.
- In moving map the track can be automatically saved to a file, see "Working with
Tracks" help for information.
- The Irish Grid has been added but not fully tested.
- The last Map Projection used when calibrating new maps is now remembered.
- You can now have a "Compass Rose" displayed around your present position when
using "moving map", the compass can be configured for size color etc. Turn the
compass on by using the "Compass Button" on the moving map tab of OziExplorer
- The "Compass Rose" can also be displayed at the current cursor position by
selecting the "Show Map at Cursor" option on the map right click menu. The
compass rose configuration is the same as for "moving map", its displayed the
same way. The only difference is the the "course" direction is not used, it
defaults to "North". This compass will also be included on the map printouts if
it is visible.
- The line projected in front of your position when using "moving map" can now
have its color and width configured. Note that when the width is greater than 1 the line
will no longer be "dashed" but will be solid.
- The "rubber" line from the mouse pointer to the "Last click
position" can now be attached to the "moving map" position and then will
always be drawn between this position and the mouse pointer. The "Distance
Display" will always measure this distance. The option to do this is on the Moving
- The "moving map" pointer can now configured to be a "solid" color as
well as "transparent".
- The right click menu now has an option to "Find Map at Cursor". The
"Cursor" position is the point at which you pressed the right mouse button. A
list of maps which include this position will be displayed.
- The map calibrations now default to a "linear" calibration even if you have 9
points. To specify a polynomial calibration you must tick the check box on the map
calibration options dialog, this will then use a polynomial fit if there are 7,8 or 9
- The "blank" map grid now shows on MapView.
- Support fot the Garmin GPS III Pilot has been added, just select the Garmin GPS III
option. This support has not been tested very well at all. In addition, the Symbols may
not be correct as the standard set from the III are used. I do not have access to a III
Pilot to check this out.
- The lat/Long can now be displayed in Degrees, Degrees & Minutes, Degrees &
Minutes & Seconds (D,DM,DMS). This is setup in the Maps Tab of the Configuration
screen. Where ever a positions can be entered still defaults to Degrees and Minutes, at
this stage I have not made this change. It is however possible to enter positions in
either D, DM or DMS within these fields even though they specifically ask for DM. For
instructions on how its done see the "Special Keys and Stuff" help.
This is the first non-beta release.
- When importing DRG maps the .tfw would not read correctly when using a coma as the
decimal separator in the windows settings, now fixed.
- When sending a single route from the Route Editor to a Garmin GPS you were asked twice
if you wanted to send it, once should be enough, now fixed.
- When adding new waypoints using the waypoint editor the waypoint default formatting was
not being used, now fixed.