Map Merging Utility for OziExplorer
- History of Changes
To create Magellan RMP maps you are no longer forced to use the
latitude/longitude map projection, any projection can be used.
Fixed issue with reading converted kap images.
1.27 - fixed issue with loading old format .map files.
- Now creates OZF4 image format.
- Added 3 color reduction method options (Octree, Median Cut, Neural Net).
- Version 1.23 - Added ability to write BigTiff (.tif) format for image
files larger than 4GBytes (for licensed version).
- Version 1.24 - Fixed "Integer Overflow" error on license screen.
- Version 1.25 - Fixed problem reading .ozf4 map images.
Map Merge can be licensed (purchased) to enable the merged maps to be saved
in formats TIF, JP2, PNG, JPG, ECW (limited size) as
well as OziExplorer's
- Fixed issue where some maps were left out of the merge (blank spaces left
in the created map).
- Some tweaking done to color reduction algorithum.
- Mapmerge can now creates large format ozfx3 image files, the new
large format ozfx3 images can be greater than 10GBytes in size.
- Improved map management to reduce memory requirements.
- Low memory use techniques implemented for png and jpg images.
- Made Vista and Windows 7 aware. Unfortunately this means the configuration
for Vista and Windows 7 installations will be lost as the configuration files
are stored in a different location.
- Added support for New Zealand TM 2000 grid.
- Some minor fixes.
- Fixed issue with maps calibrated in certain grids and using a datum other
than wgs84 - the map display in mapmerge and the maps created had the map
image displaced from its correct location.
- Fixed issue with selected map area which is not drawn from the top left.
- Fixed some issues with missing maps (white areas) when merging many maps.
- Many internal changes - please report any type of maps which do not merge,
send maps to test with if possible.
- Faster again than version 1.11 when merging a large number of maps.
- Added support for reading ozf2 and ozfx3 maps. It is not necessarily a
good idea to merge maps to ozfx3 and then merge the merged ozfx3 maps again,
each time you merge maps quality may be lost.
- The 2GB limit on the temporary files has been fixed (there is now
essentially no limit for these files). However the size of the completed ozfx3
file must be below 4GB.
- The previous version did not create the image thumbnails correctly for a
couple of image types. If you have any map thumbnails which are just black or
corrupted you will need to delete the thumbnails folder (in the System Files
folder), the deleted thumbnails will be recreated.
- Faster than version 1.10 - the speed increase may be only 25%
for a single image re-projection to a factor of 3+ for for merging many maps.
- Corrected the calculation of the Mercator pixel scale (thanks to JG for
the description of the issue on the user group).
- Have rewritten the image reading drivers for ecw and sid images.
- Some changes to the bilinear filter.
- Fixed some problems.
- Much faster than version 1.05 - the speed increase may be a factor of 3
for a single image re-projection to a factor of 50 for for merging many maps.
- Added bilinear filtering to the re-projection process so the final image
will have a smoother look. Bilinear filtering will have no affect if you are
doing significant scale reduction on an image, the effective range is 50 to
- Added sharpening to reduce the blurring effect of the bilinear filtering.
- Improved color lookup algorithm (colors in final image may match source
- Other minor changes.
- The ozfx3 files created by this version will now work faster - this will
be particularly noticeable on slow PDA's or slow memory cards.
- Added the ability to specify the % resize of the final map. If you want
the final image to be lower resolution than the originals this does a smart
bilinear resize of the merged image which of course looks much better.
- Added a new column in the maps list for status, this shows if the map
image could not be found or is not supported.
- Added an "Action List" to show what maps have been opened and closed and
how many maps are currently open. This is displayed during the merging
- Many internal changes have been made.
- Fixed a problem where the map would jump to a new location when selecting
maps with the mouse.
- Another method of finding map the map within in the neat lines (corner
markers) is being tried.
- When looking for the map within the neat lines (corner markers) the map
had to be within the border (not on the line), this worked ok for joined maps
which had some overlap but did not work correctly for maps with no overlap, a
row of pixels could be missed. The algorithm has been changed to find parts of
the map within or on the border.
- Selected maps in the Map List will now always show on top of the
- Added a new button called Refresh, this will repaint the map
viewing window. Useful when changes have been made to the maps selected in the
maps list, the map viewing window will be repainted and the selected maps will
be drawn on top of the unselected maps.
- Added a new Create Map option From Drawn Region (Selected Maps
only). During the map creating only selected maps will be used.
- Removed the Zoom Out button from the toolbar, it was unnecessary as
Zoom Out can be done by right clicking the mouse.
- Added a new button called Show Selected Map Extents, it shows the
extent of only the maps you have selected in the Map List.
- Added a new button called Invert, it inverts the selections in the
- Adding a new folder to the Folder List, or deleting a folder from the list
will no longer force the other selected folders in the list (if any) to be
scanned as well.
- After creating a map a dialog will be shown giving the start, end and
- Map Merge will scan all map files in the selected folders. In many cases
these map files contain errors such as bad calibrations, incorrect corner
markers and a variety of other problems. An attempt is made to eliminate the
map files which could cause problems but this is not always possible. If you
receive errors when scanning map folders then check the map files in the
folder, 1 or more will not be valid.
- Certain Grids such as Irish Grid and perhaps Swedish, France II and France
IV grids would not work at all, this has been fixed.
- Sid images were being displaced in the destination map vertically by many
pixels (a random number), now fixed.
- Many minor issues.
- A new Checkbox called "Auto Scan Folders" has been added to the configure
tab. If checked the maps in the selected folders will be scanned as the
folders are added, or folders in the folder list are ticked or un-ticked. If
"Auto Scan Folders" is un-ticked the new "Scan Folders" button needs to be
manually pressed to do the scanning.
- The different mouse modes (controlled by the buttons on the toolbar) can
now do multiple tasks - example the map select mode can also drag the map, the
draw region mode can now zoom in and out by clicking the mouse buttons.
- Maps which could not be processed in the initial scan phase are now shown
in a dialog at the end of the scanning. The reason why they could not be
processed is not shown (not yet anyway).
- To process SID images a new version of the OziMrSID dll must be downloaded
from the Optional_extras web page.
- For Destination Maps using the Latitude/Longitude map projection the map
scale (meters/pixel) is only approximate as the map scale varies depending on
- If the png dll is found then the image thumbnails will be created in the
png format instead of the bmp format and will therefore be smaller.
- Fixed map calibration issues for destination maps created using grids
- For the Latitude/Longitude projection the map scale (meters/pixel) is now
calculated using the center of the Destination Map.
- Map Zooming should now work better.
- other minor issues
- The datum of the Destination Map can now be specified.
- The mouse pointer now changes depending on which toolbar button is
Beta Version 1.00 Released July 2004