CE - Development Version
8th April 2009
A new version of OziExplorerCE is available as a
OziExplorerCE Development Version 2.30d.3
- If you have not already done so you should download and install
OziExplorerCE release version 2.19 first.
- Download the version which suits your pda,
- Unzip the file on your PC and copy the exe file to
the "OziExplorer 2" folder on your PDA.
- The exe file has a different name than the release version.
Download the extra files
dev_ozice_extra_files.zip unzip it and copy the *.par1 files to the
OziExplorerCE folder (normally "OziExplorer 2") and copy the chm file to the
OziExplorerCE Help folder.
There is a new screen designer download below.
||Windows Mobile 5, Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC's.
||The "Windows Mobile Classic" (Pocket PC) and "Professional"
(Pocket PC with Phone) Operating System versions are supported. The "Windows
Mobile Standard" version (for small non-touch screen phones) is not
|Pocket Pocket PC 2003
||Pocket PC's using Windows CE version 4.2
Pocket PC 2000, Pocket PC 2002
||Pocket PC's using Windows CE version 3
||PDA's running Windows CE OS 4 or 5 Core
Any unlocked navigation device using Windows CE will
use this version.
( Not for Pocket PC's )
|The PDA's which use the WinCE "Core" OS may be devices which are
dedicated to particular tasks such as running specific navigation software.
The devices may be "locked" so other software cannot be installed. There may
be information available on the internet on how to unlock some of these
||Handheld PC (wince 2.0), Handheld PC Pro (wince
||These PDA's do not have enough resources to run
this version of OziExplorerCE.
One of the features of the new version is the ability to display
many different screens by paging through them, these screens can be designed on
the PC by use the "OziExplorerCE Settings Manager" program.
Download OziExplorerCE Screen Designer (version 2.30)
Development Version 2.30d.1/2.30d.2/2.30d.3 (April 2009)
- 2.30d.3 - added new parameters to the screen designer
- Display Total storage space for the main storage partition (file space).
- Display Free storage space for the main storage partition.
- Display Total storage space for the partition where OziExplorerCE is
- Display Free storage space for the partition where OziExplorerCE is
- Display Total storage for partition where the Datapath folder is
- Display Free storage for partition where the Datapath folder is located.
- Use a Button to execute an external program (located at the bottom of
the parameter list in "Other Command") - limited to 50 characters - include
full path to exe file, parameters are ok.
- 2.30d.3 - fixed logbook image creation when in perspective 3D mode.
- 2.30d.3 - fixed issue with nearest waypoint list when selecting waypoints
on blank entry and clicking on the "Map" or "Goto" button.
- 2.30d.3 - fixed issue where incorrect waypoint could be selected in a
route if gps did not have a valid fix when route navigation is started.
- 2.30d.2 - added mapview for png, jpg and bmp map image types.
- If you have 10,000 waypoints loaded the calculation of nearest waypoints
can take 500 - 700 milliseconds and this must be done every time the position
changes (only when the nearest waypoint list is on the page of course). A new
method has been developed which reduces this to about 50 milliseconds for most
screen updates with a full update only needed occasionally.
- jpg, png and bmp image files can now be used as map images. Only 8bit and
24bit color formats are supported. The images must be small as they must be
fully loaded into memory. This is experimental at this stage.
- Fixed an unusual issue with closing OziCE on some devices (OziCE may hang
or the desktop not refresh after closing).
- When resuming the pda from suspend mode the "GPS disconnected message" may
display when not necessary, the check for NMEA data is now delayed.
- Fixed some other issues.
Development Version 2.29d/2.29d.1/2.29d.2/2.29d.3/2.29d.4 (March 2009)
- 2.29d.4 - Changes done to screen redraw thread methodology.
- 2.29d.4 - Removed bugs which caused almost 100% cpu load under certain
- 2.29d.4 - Please test previous problems with 2.29d.2/2.29d.3 with this
version too see if they still exist.
- 2.29d.4 - When the OziCE application is put in the background it will now
do the following to reduce its resource use.
- Screen redraw is suspended (track logging and so on still occurs).
- The memory for cached parameter fields for all but the current page is
- If an ECW map image is loaded it is closed (automatically reopened when
needed) - ECW is by far the biggest memory user needing about 14MBytes.
- 2.29d.4 - ipaq 312/314 users
- "parkinson" also exists on other pnd's and I have previously adjusted the
mousemove threshold in OziCE up to eliminate the affect, the 312/314 seems to
- The threshold is currently set to 8 pixels (or 16 if using hires.dat) -
what should the threshold be???
- The unlock slider reappearing - OziCE will show the slider on a mousedown
or mousemove event, the mousemove event isn't really needed so I have removed
it, not sure if this will help.
- 2.29d.3 - Screen draw function using a separate thread has been
- the known issues with this have been fixed.
- there may be other issues so please report anything unusual.
- 2.29d.3 - some minor cosmetic issues have been fixed.
- 2.29d.2 - Removed screen draw function from separate thread back to the
old method, it was causing a few issues.
- 2.29d.1 - Fixed problem where map would not respond to gps position change
after selecting goto from popup menu.
- 2.29d.1 - Fixed problem where map would not refresh to gps position when
- 2.29d.1 - When editing waypoints which have a non-standard color (a PC
OziExplorer color for example) the color will be specified as "custom". The
waypoint can be edited (the name for example) and saved without destroying the
- 2.29d.1 - When OziExplorerCE is locked the Unlock slider now
disappears after 10 seconds, a press on the screen will bring it back (for 10
seconds). The unlock slider is no longer a modal window so pressing on the
screen does not generate the annoying beep.
- 2.29d.1 - Added the ability to split the track log file into different
file names based on the following options - daily, weekly,
monthly and never.
- The New Track Log File option is specified in Track
- The Menu options Copy Track Log File and Delete Track Log File
apply to the track log file name currently being used.
- If the New Track Log File option Never is selected then the
track log is stored in the ceTrack.plt file.
- The default is Daily.
- 2.29d.1 - Added a % CPU load parameter to the version 2.29 Screen
Designer, this gives the total cpu load of the device (not just the load
generated by OziExplorerCE).
- Put screen redraw function into separate thread
- This is the biggest change for this version and has potential to cause
other issues (none noticed in testing).
- It allows the gps reading thread to continue while the screen is being
- Also allows finer control so time is always allocated for other functions
when screen redraw is slow.
- Tidying up of some screen handling issues when stopping moving map or gps
- Fixed issue with gps port reading (broken in previous version) causing lag
in some systems.
- Added a button for turning on/off NMEA sentence Logging to the Screen
- If NMEA Logging is active a message is displayed when the GPS is first
- Other minor cosmetic changes.
Development Version 2.28d/2.28d.1 (March 2009)
- 2.28d.1 - Changes have been made to the use of the internal keyboard.
- This information does not apply to Pocket PC's (which always have a
- The parameter to specify the use of the internal keyboard in configuration
has been removed.
- The first time the keyboard is used the windows system keyboard will be
activated and you will be asked if you can see the keyboard.
- If the keyboard is not visible the internal keyboard will be activated.
- The keyboard configuration is stored in the file keyboard.cfg - delete
this file and you will be asked again if you can see a keyboard.
- Checks are made to see if the PND has a keyboard - in some cases it can be
determined that the PND definitely does not have a keyboard and in these cases
the internal keyboard is used by default (no question is asked).
- However it is difficult to determine programmatically if a PND has a
keyboard or not, there are so many variations to what is configured in the
operating system. In some cases the API functions for using the keyboard or
checking if it available are not included in the system dll's.
- 2.28d.1 - Minor cosmetic fixes have been made.
- 2.28d.1 - Fixed proximity alert for 375 and 500 meters which were not
being set correctly.
- Fixed the zooming of ecw maps when in 3D perspective mode.
- The waypoint color can now be changed in the Waypoint editing dialog.
- The default color used when creating waypoints can now be specified in the
Waypoints configuration dialog.
- The display of total route distance now displays when using a reversed
- Added new waypoint alert distances for 375 and 500 meters (on Waypoint set
- The proximity distance of an individual waypoint can now be changed in the
waypoint editing dialog (set in meters).
- The wp_alert.wav file is played when the proximity is entered and the
waypoint is changed to an alert symbol on screen until the proximity is left.
- Course up and 3D perspective modes now use a fixed position for the GPS
position about 3/4 of the way down the screen (this gives look ahead). This
was done so the "Screen Position" setting in configuration (now called "Look
Ahead") can now be set to zero when it is not required for a particular
activity (such as hiking).
- The nmea log file is now stored in the "Data Path" (if activated), it used
to be stored with the exe file where file space may be limited.
Development Version 2.26d/2.27d (February 2009)
- 2.27d - fixed slow page changing when gps connected.
- New GPS connection options have been added for the GPS. The options are
available on the Connect tab on the NMEA (GPS) configuration dialog. The
- Close the GPS port when the PDA is turned off - this may reduce battery
use if the serial port is not active when suspended.
- Reopen the GPS port when the PDA is turned on (if it was on when the PDA
- To reconnect to the GPS if the connection is lost when it is in use.
- Incorrect magenta backgrounds on gauges fixed.
- Red shift night vision now now shifts 75% to the red instead of 100% -
this allows for better differentiation of colors on the screen when they are
shifted to red.
- New buttons added to the screen designer for "Screen Brightness + red
- Added buttons to move the active page back 1,2,3,4 or 5 pages.
- A program called NoniMapView which can make OziExplorer maps from Google
Earth does not write out the .map file correctly, it leaves out the
calibration points which are not used, however OziExplorerCE expected those
points to be included in the .map file. This results in the corner markers and
map scale parameters not being loaded when NoniMapView created maps are used.
OziExplorerCE has been modified to load .map files which do not have the
unused calibration points and these map files now load ok.
- For people using the hires.dat file option for high resolution devices and
using a language other than English - a fix has been done so the dialogs will
display the full text for labels and not truncate them.
- The saved map image for the log book should now center around the gps
- A new menu option has been added for the 3D view to turn it on/off.
- The anchor_alarm.wav file not being used has been fixed.
- A simple software keyboard has been added. It will be used if
OziExplorerCE detects the OS does not have a software keyboard installed.
Development Version 2.25d (January 2009)
- Magenta backgrounds on parameters should now be fixed.
- Fixed Anchor alarm +50 button only doing +10.
Development Version 2.24d (January 2009)
- Red night vision is now available
- Added button to Screen Designer version 2.24 to activate red night vision.
- The button will need to be added manually to an OziExplorerCE screen if
you want to use it.
- The Red shift works with the intensity and will only happen at intensities
less than 100%.
- The anchor alarm circles will only be drawn on the map if the anchor alarm
- Made code changes to try and prevent transparent buttons from showing with
a magenta background under some circumstances. This only happens on a few
devices and I do not know the cause as I cannot duplicate it.
- If you do not want the gps to be automatically reconnected if the NMEA
data stream is lost then put a file called "no_port_reconnect.dat" in the
folder with OziExplorerCE. When OziExplorerCE is started it will detect the
presence of this file - OziExplorerCE will then only alert the fact that NMEA
has been lost but will not attempt to reconnect the gps.
Development Version 2.23d (December 2008)
3D Perspective View
- This version should be more stable than version 2.22
- Added 3D perspective view - this rotates the top of the map down using a
true perspective view and provides for more map view ahead.
- This is just a
display feature, the map cannot be manipulated in this mode.
- For the 3D
perspective to be displayed the gps must be connected and tracking,
OziExplorerCE must be in "Course Up" mode and the zoom level greater than 70%.
- The options for this are on the View / Map Display menu and buttons are
available in the Screen Designer.
- 3 look ahead modes are provided 1.5, 1.75 and 2, The larger the look ahead
more resources are need to render the image.
- The page files provided for download have a 3D button added to page 1.
- Added analogue gauges - most parameters can be displayed as either a
digital read out (normal) or as an analogue gauge.
- Version 2.23 of the Screen Designer can design analogue gauges.
- The page files provided for download have a page showing some example
- Faster map indexing - at least 10 times faster when tested on my PDA's.
- Faster startup - OziExplorerCE loads up quicker.
- Faster track loading from file.
- Faster route loading from file.
- Faster screen rotation - when changing from landscape to portrait mode or
back again OziExplorerCE changes much quicker.
- Fixed gps connection issues with Samsung Omnia i900 - now works very well
with this phone/pda.
- The last route used is now loaded from file (assuming it was saved to a
file) - the setting for this is in "General Settings" configuration.
- Fixed bug in loading of large waypoint files.
- The double click time when double clicking on waypoints (and other
objects) to open the menu has been extended to 0.3 seconds (from 0.2 seconds)
- you don't have to click so fast.
- Anchor alarm components have been added - these are not included on the
standard screens but can be added using the Screen Designer.
- The anchor alarm units are only set in meters at this stage.
- The anchor alarm position and zone are drawn on the map.
- The alarm is sounded by playing the sound file "Anchor_Alarm.wav" (not
supplied) (or default.wav if it does not exist).
- New Screen Designer (version 2.23) is available.
Development Version 2.22d (November 2008)
- Fixed problem with map searching only working on the 1st map file path.
- The "back" button on the help viewer will now exit back to the map if you
are at the top help level.
Development Version 2.21d (November 2008)
- Fixed problem with help locking up
- Fixed problem with log book images not being created
- Fixed problem with map having 1 or 2 rows of pixels missing along the edge
of the map.
- Fixed problem where map images with international characters would not be
found. However you are still required to have your PDA configured to the
regional settings for the language being used for the map files.
- Map Searching now will also look into the sub-folders of the configured
"Map File Paths", this will provide for better organisation of maps into
different sub-folders for any of the "Map File Paths".
- As an example - it would now possible to set a "Map File Path" to the root
of an SD card (\SD Card) and OziExplorerCE
will scan the full SD Card for maps. However setting the path to the root of
an SD Card is not recommended as
map searching performance will suffer as all folders need to be scanned, even
those without maps in them.
- For best performance "Map File Paths" should contain sub-folders with only
maps (and map images) in them.
- Setting the "Map File Path" to the root of the PDA (\)
will not work, it will be ignored.
- Another experiment with opening the context menu for waypoints, route
waypoints and track points.
- A very quick double click on a waypoint will open the menu
- A single click on a waypoint will move the map (same as version 2.19)
- Holding the stylus on the waypoint for longer than 1 second will also open
the menu (same as version 2.19)
- Fixed other minor problems.
Development Version 2.20d (November 2008)
- OziExplorerCE can now rotate the map to "Course Up" when in moving map.
- There is an option on the View menu for "Course Up".
- Direction of travel will be within roughly 45 degrees of vertical as the
map is only rotated in 90 degree increments to keep performance reasonable.
- There is a new button available in the screen designer to display a North
arrow, it also works as a button to turn "Course Up" off and on.
- New page files (*.par1) have been provided with the North arrow on page 1.
- To open up the menu for objects (waypoints, route waypoints and track
points) you now only have to click on the object. Holding the stylus down on
the object for half a second will show the red circle and when released will
show details about the object.
- Map zooming has been improved and is much quicker.
- A warning will be given if GPS NMEA data is lost and the software will try
to reconnect to the GPS.
- There is now an option in General Settings to turn off automatic map
indexing (not recommended however).
- If you do this you must manually index the maps whenever a map is added
deleted or modified.
- If you do not manually index new maps will not be found and the software
will still attempt to open deleted maps.
- The "Index Maps" option is on the map Menu.
- The ability to use SRTM height data has been added (this was in version
2.19 but not announced).
- Only SRTM data (SRTM30 (.dem), SRTM3 and SRTM1 (.hgt)) can be used, they
must be placed in the "Data File path".
- No other types of height data files can be used.
- There are parameters available in the Screen Designer to display the
- A bug in the scale display when using the Nautical Miles / Feet units has
- Clear routes command has been added to the screen designer.
- The OziExplorerCE open file dialog is now used for all platforms not just
PocketPC. This means a KB button will now be available on Wince core devices.
- If the Scale Bar is accidentally dragged off screen it will now be pulled
back onto the screen.
- Help is now provided in one .chm file.
- OziExplorerCE help engine is now used for all platforms not just for wince