Release Version 2.44a (Jan 2017)
- Version 2.44a is only for wince core devices (which is just about all
wince devices available now).
- Added dedicated open/save/close/cancel etc buttons to dialogs - no more
tiny OK / X buttons on caption.
- Increased track tail size from 1000 to 3000 points.
- Settings saved "on the fly" instead only on software close - good for
in-dash units where device is turned off by ignition.
- Improved look and feel on 800x480 resolution devices.
- Major speed improvements.
- Other minor changes.
Release Version 2.42a / 2.42b (May 2015)
- 2.42b - Fixed problem in 2.42a where "10000 waypoint limit
exceeded" message was displayed.
- Added better support for 800 x 480 wince core devices.
- New Screen file
- Larger dialogs
- New screen file for 480 x 272 devices.
- New Menubar for wince core devices (not for PocketPC's).
- The Menubar can now be placed on the bottom, the left, or the right
of the screen (controlled by entry in the menubar.dat file).
- OziExplorer now self installs for wince core devices.
- Just one exe file to download.
- Extracts needed files on first run.
- New splash screen for wince core devices.
- Some minor fixes.
Release Version 2.40 (Feb 2013)
- Added support for our new ozf4 image format (which is coming soon).
- Removed sound from message dialogs (which sounded bad on wince core
- Some minor fixes.
Release Version 2.35b (June 2012)
- Fixed issue with file open dialogs being cut off on low resolution
- Other minor fixes.
Release Version 2.35a (August 2011)
- Added support for the Holux Funtrex 130 GPS (see the OziExplorerCE
- Added support for the Lowrance Endura range of GPS receivers (see
OziExplorerCE download area).
- Added Date and Time format settings - this is under Configuration - Units
- Multiple user tracks can be loaded using the TrackLoadList.txt text file.
- An example file is provided in the data folder.
- Instructions are in the file.
- Changed date format used in Waypoints comments to stop Chinese characters
appearing in some devices.
- Increased the number of parameters which can be used in the Screen
- Added button in the Screen Designer to create a Man Overboard Waypoint
- Added 2 buttons in the Screen Designer to create a Waypoints using the
Button Text as part of the Waypoint name.
- useful when adding waypoints for specific locations / items.
Release Version 2.34/2.34a (October 2010)
- 2.34a - The cross at the center of the screen was not being drawn when
dragging the map making it difficult to position the map at a specific
location - now fixed.
- 2.34a - The map cursor position lat/lon (center of screen) was not
being updated after kinetic scrolling - now fixed.
- Faster Map Indexing on WinCE Core devices (up to 15 times faster).
- The check to see if the Map Index is up to date is now only checked once
- Kinetic map scrolling has been added - the map will continue to scroll if
"flinged" with the stylus.
- there is a new option on the "Map" tab in "General Settings"
- kinetic scrolling requires a powerful cpu on high resolution devices.
- for 800x480 screen devices Kinetic scrolling has been turned off by
default as performance is not acceptable on some devices.
- Added support for an Alternate serial port driver
- there is a new option on the GPS configuration dialog called "Alt Driver".
- some devices such as the Samsung i900 now need to use the "Alt Driver" (if
not using Managed GPS).
- most devices can use either driver.
- the "Managed GPS" always uses its own driver and ignores the "Alt Driver".
Release Version 2.33/2.33a (June 2010)
- 2.33a - Fixed freezing issue when language other than English is used with
a larger menu size.
- 2.33a - Fixed speed display being incorrect when using managed GPS.
- 2.33a - Fine tuning of parameters and buttons displayed on the map when
the map is expanded.
- Fixed issue where the track point time in the track log file was not being
stored in UTC time.
- The time zone is now stored in the track log file, the next version of PC
OziExplorer will use this entry to display the track points with the time they
- Added support for the Microsoft "managed" GPS interface for Pocket PC's /
Smartphones. If your PDA has a "Managed" GPS then it will always be found
first and used when the "Auto" GPS configuration option is specified. If you
do not want to use the "Managed" GPS then the GPS port must be selected
- New configuration options have been added in "General Settings" to allow
sizes to be specified for the following items (useful for the devices with
high pixel density screens).
- Size of the font used for the "Standard menus"
- Size of the Dialogs
- Size of the Toolbars
- Size of the Menubar
- Size of the Keyboard (wince core devices only)
- The screen pages are now resized by scaling to fit the screen rather than
by moving the parameters - this givers a better look.
- New API functions have been added for "Start / Stop Navigation" and "Load
Release Version 2.32 (December 2009)
- Added support for New Zealand NZTM 2000 grid and datum.
- Added time zone support within OziExplorerCE (on the "General Settings"
configuration dialog) .
- Fixed some compatibility issues with Windows CE 6 (saving of the "General
Settings" dialog is fixed).
- Fixed issue with missing the last character in the attachment name when
reading in waypoints from the waypoint file.
- Fixed magnetic variation calculations.
- Alerts (which cause an alarm to sound when approaching a waypoint) were a
special form of a waypoint proximity. Alerts are now totally separate from
waypoint proximities and therefore the proximity distance is no longer set to
a negative number.
Release Version 2.31 (April 2009)
- Added the ability to sort the waypoint list by Name or Distance from
Development Version 2.30d.1/2.30d.2/2.30d.3 (April 2009)
- 2.30d.3 - added new parameters to the screen designer
- Display Total storage space for the main storage partition (file space).
- Display Free storage space for the main storage partition.
- Display Total storage space for the partition where OziExplorerCE is
- Display Free storage space for the partition where OziExplorerCE is
- Display Total storage for partition where the Datapath folder is
- Display Free storage for partition where the Datapath folder is located.
- Use a Button to execute an external program (located at the bottom of
the parameter list in "Other Command") - limited to 50 characters - include
full path to exe file, parameters are ok.
- 2.30d.3 - fixed logbook image creation when in perspective 3D mode.
- 2.30d.3 - fixed issue with nearest waypoint list when selecting waypoints
on blank entry and clicking on the "Map" or "Goto" button.
- 2.30d.3 - fixed issue where incorrect waypoint could be selected in a
route if gps did not have a valid fix when route navigation is started.
- 2.30d.2 - added mapview for png, jpg and bmp map image types.
- If you have 10,000 waypoints loaded the calculation of nearest waypoints
can take 500 - 700 milliseconds and this must be done every time the position
changes (only when the nearest waypoint list is on the page of course). A new
method has been developed which reduces this to about 50 milliseconds for most
screen updates with a full update only needed occasionally.
- jpg, png and bmp image files can now be used as map images. Only 8bit and
24bit color formats are supported. The images must be small as they must be
fully loaded into memory. This is experimental at this stage.
- Fixed an unusual issue with closing OziCE on some devices (OziCE may hang
or the desktop not refresh after closing).
- When resuming the pda from suspend mode the "GPS disconnected message" may
display when not necessary, the check for NMEA data is now delayed.
- Fixed some other issues.
Development Version 2.29d/2.29d.1/2.29d.2/2.29d.3/2.29d.4 (March 2009)
- 2.29d.4 - Changes done to screen redraw thread methodology.
- 2.29d.4 - Removed bugs which caused almost 100% cpu load under certain
- 2.29d.4 - Please test previous problems with 2.29d.2/2.29d.3 with this
version too see if they still exist.
- 2.29d.4 - When the OziCE application is put in the background it will now
do the following to reduce its resource use.
- Screen redraw is suspended (track logging and so on still occurs).
- The memory for cached parameter fields for all but the current page is
- If an ECW map image is loaded it is closed (automatically reopened when
needed) - ECW is by far the biggest memory user needing about 14MBytes.
- 2.29d.4 - ipaq 312/314 users
- "parkinson" also exists on other pnd's and I have previously adjusted the
mousemove threshold in OziCE up to eliminate the affect, the 312/314 seems to
- The threshold is currently set to 8 pixels (or 16 if using hires.dat) -
what should the threshold be???
- The unlock slider reappearing - OziCE will show the slider on a mousedown
or mousemove event, the mousemove event isn't really needed so I have removed
it, not sure if this will help.
- 2.29d.3 - Screen draw function using a separate thread has been
- the known issues with this have been fixed.
- there may be other issues so please report anything unusual.
- 2.29d.3 - some minor cosmetic issues have been fixed.
- 2.29d.2 - Removed screen draw function from separate thread back to the
old method, it was causing a few issues.
- 2.29d.1 - Fixed problem where map would not respond to gps position change
after selecting goto from popup menu.
- 2.29d.1 - Fixed problem where map would not refresh to gps position when
- 2.29d.1 - When editing waypoints which have a non-standard color (a PC
OziExplorer color for example) the color will be specified as "custom". The
waypoint can be edited (the name for example) and saved without destroying the
- 2.29d.1 - When OziExplorerCE is locked the Unlock slider now
disappears after 10 seconds, a press on the screen will bring it back (for 10
seconds). The unlock slider is no longer a modal window so pressing on the
screen does not generate the annoying beep.
- 2.29d.1 - Added the ability to split the track log file into different
file names based on the following options - daily, weekly,
monthly and never.
- The New Track Log File option is specified in Track
- The Menu options Copy Track Log File and Delete Track Log File
apply to the track log file name currently being used.
- If the New Track Log File option Never is selected then the
track log is stored in the ceTrack.plt file.
- The default is Daily.
- 2.29d.1 - Added a % CPU load parameter to the version 2.29 Screen
Designer, this gives the total cpu load of the device (not just the load
generated by OziExplorerCE).
- Put screen redraw function into separate thread
- This is the biggest change for this version and has potential to cause
other issues (none noticed in testing).
- It allows the gps reading thread to continue while the screen is being
- Also allows finer control so time is always allocated for other functions
when screen redraw is slow.
- Tidying up of some screen handling issues when stopping moving map or gps
- Fixed issue with gps port reading (broken in previous version) causing lag
in some systems.
- Added a button for turning on/off NMEA sentence Logging to the Screen
- If NMEA Logging is active a message is displayed when the GPS is first
- Other minor cosmetic changes.
Development Version 2.28d/2.28d.1 (March 2009)
- 2.28d.1 - Changes have been made to the use of the internal keyboard.
- This information does not apply to Pocket PC's (which always have a
- The parameter to specify the use of the internal keyboard in configuration
has been removed.
- The first time the keyboard is used the windows system keyboard will be
activated and you will be asked if you can see the keyboard.
- If the keyboard is not visible the internal keyboard will be activated.
- The keyboard configuration is stored in the file keyboard.cfg - delete
this file and you will be asked again if you can see a keyboard.
- Checks are made to see if the PND has a keyboard - in some cases it can be
determined that the PND definitely does not have a keyboard and in these cases
the internal keyboard is used by default (no question is asked).
- However it is difficult to determine programmatically if a PND has a
keyboard or not, there are so many variations to what is configured in the
operating system. In some cases the API functions for using the keyboard or
checking if it available are not included in the system dll's.
- 2.28d.1 - Minor cosmetic fixes have been made.
- 2.28d.1 - Fixed proximity alert for 375 and 500 meters which were not
being set correctly.
- Fixed the zooming of ecw maps when in 3D perspective mode.
- The waypoint color can now be changed in the Waypoint editing dialog.
- The default color used when creating waypoints can now be specified in the
Waypoints configuration dialog.
- The display of total route distance now displays when using a reversed
- Added new waypoint alert distances for 375 and 500 meters (on Waypoint set
- The proximity distance of an individual waypoint can now be changed in the
waypoint editing dialog (set in meters).
- The wp_alert.wav file is played when the proximity is entered and the
waypoint is changed to an alert symbol on screen until the proximity is left.
- Course up and 3D perspective modes now use a fixed position for the GPS
position about 3/4 of the way down the screen (this gives look ahead). This
was done so the "Screen Position" setting in configuration (now called "Look
Ahead") can now be set to zero when it is not required for a particular
activity (such as hiking).
- The nmea log file is now stored in the "Data Path" (if activated), it used
to be stored with the exe file where file space may be limited.
Development Version 2.26d/2.27d (February 2009)
- 2.27d - fixed slow page changing when gps connected.
- New GPS connection options have been added for the GPS. The options are
available on the Connect tab on the NMEA (GPS) configuration dialog. The
- Close the GPS port when the PDA is turned off - this may reduce battery
use if the serial port is not active when suspended.
- Reopen the GPS port when the PDA is turned on (if it was on when the PDA
- To reconnect to the GPS if the connection is lost when it is in use.
- Incorrect magenta backgrounds on gauges fixed.
- Red shift night vision now now shifts 75% to the red instead of 100% -
this allows for better differentiation of colors on the screen when they are
shifted to red.
- New buttons added to the screen designer for "Screen Brightness + red
- Added buttons to move the active page back 1,2,3,4 or 5 pages.
- A program called NoniMapView which can make OziExplorer maps from Google
Earth does not write out the .map file correctly, it leaves out the
calibration points which are not used, however OziExplorerCE expected those
points to be included in the .map file. This results in the corner markers and
map scale parameters not being loaded when NoniMapView created maps are used.
OziExplorerCE has been modified to load .map files which do not have the
unused calibration points and these map files now load ok.
- For people using the hires.dat file option for high resolution devices and
using a language other than English - a fix has been done so the dialogs will
display the full text for labels and not truncate them.
- The saved map image for the log book should now center around the gps
- A new menu option has been added for the 3D view to turn it on/off.
- The anchor_alarm.wav file not being used has been fixed.
- A simple software keyboard has been added. It will be used if
OziExplorerCE detects the OS does not have a software keyboard installed.
Development Version 2.25d (January 2009)
- Magenta backgrounds on parameters should now be fixed.
- Fixed Anchor alarm +50 button only doing +10.
Development Version 2.24d (January 2009)
- Red night vision is now available
- Added button to Screen Designer version 2.24 to activate red night vision.
- The button will need to be added manually to an OziExplorerCE screen if
you want to use it.
- The Red shift works with the intensity and will only happen at intensities
less than 100%.
- The anchor alarm circles will only be drawn on the map if the anchor alarm
- Made code changes to try and prevent transparent buttons from showing with
a magenta background under some circumstances. This only happens on a few
devices and I do not know the cause as I cannot duplicate it.
- If you do not want the gps to be automatically reconnected if the NMEA
data stream is lost then put a file called "no_port_reconnect.dat" in the
folder with OziExplorerCE. When OziExplorerCE is started it will detect the
presence of this file - OziExplorerCE will then only alert the fact that NMEA
has been lost but will not attempt to reconnect the gps.
Development Version 2.23d (December 2008)
3D Perspective View
- This version should be more stable than version 2.22
- Added 3D perspective view - this rotates the top of the map down using a
true perspective view and provides for more map view ahead.
- This is just a
display feature, the map cannot be manipulated in this mode.
- For the 3D
perspective to be displayed the gps must be connected and tracking,
OziExplorerCE must be in "Course Up" mode and the zoom level greater than 70%.
- The options for this are on the View / Map Display menu and buttons are
available in the Screen Designer.
- 3 look ahead modes are provided 1.5, 1.75 and 2, The larger the look ahead
more resources are need to render the image.
- The page files provided for download have a 3D button added to page 1.
- Added analogue gauges - most parameters can be displayed as either a
digital read out (normal) or as an analogue gauge.
- Version 2.23 of the Screen Designer can design analogue gauges.
- The page files provided for download have a page showing some example
- Faster map indexing - at least 10 times faster when tested on my PDA's.
- Faster startup - OziExplorerCE loads up quicker.
- Faster track loading from file.
- Faster route loading from file.
- Faster screen rotation - when changing from landscape to portrait mode or
back again OziExplorerCE changes much quicker.
- Fixed gps connection issues with Samsung Omnia i900 - now works very well
with this phone/pda.
- The last route used is now loaded from file (assuming it was saved to a
file) - the setting for this is in "General Settings" configuration.
- Fixed bug in loading of large waypoint files.
- The double click time when double clicking on waypoints (and other
objects) to open the menu has been extended to 0.3 seconds (from 0.2 seconds)
- you don't have to click so fast.
- Anchor alarm components have been added - these are not included on the
standard screens but can be added using the Screen Designer.
- The anchor alarm units are only set in meters at this stage.
- The anchor alarm position and zone are drawn on the map.
- The alarm is sounded by playing the sound file "Anchor_Alarm.wav" (not
supplied) (or default.wav if it does not exist).
- New Screen Designer (version 2.23) is available.
Development Version 2.22d (November 2008)
- Fixed problem with map searching only working on the 1st map file path.
- The "back" button on the help viewer will now exit back to the map if you
are at the top help level.
Development Version 2.21d (November 2008)
- Fixed problem with help locking up
- Fixed problem with log book images not being created
- Fixed problem with map having 1 or 2 rows of pixels missing along the edge
of the map.
- Fixed problem where map images with international characters would not be
found. However you are still required to have your PDA configured to the
regional settings for the language being used for the map files.
- Map Searching now will also look into the sub-folders of the configured
"Map File Paths", this will provide for better organisation of maps into
different sub-folders for any of the "Map File Paths".
- As an example - it would now possible to set a "Map File Path" to the root
of an SD card (\SD Card) and OziExplorerCE
will scan the full SD Card for maps. However setting the path to the root of
an SD Card is not recommended as
map searching performance will suffer as all folders need to be scanned, even
those without maps in them.
- For best performance "Map File Paths" should contain sub-folders with only
maps (and map images) in them.
- Setting the "Map File Path" to the root of the PDA (\)
will not work, it will be ignored.
- Another experiment with opening the context menu for waypoints, route
waypoints and track points.
- A very quick double click on a waypoint will open the menu
- A single click on a waypoint will move the map (same as version 2.19)
- Holding the stylus on the waypoint for longer than 1 second will also open
the menu (same as version 2.19)
- Fixed other minor problems.
Development Version 2.20d (November 2008)
- OziExplorerCE can now rotate the map to "Course Up" when in moving map.
- There is an option on the View menu for "Course Up".
- Direction of travel will be within roughly 45 degrees of vertical as the
map is only rotated in 90 degree increments to keep performance reasonable.
- There is a new button available in the screen designer to display a North
arrow, it also works as a button to turn "Course Up" off and on.
- New page files (*.par1) have been provided with the North arrow on page 1.
- To open up the menu for objects (waypoints, route waypoints and track
points) you now only have to click on the object. Holding the stylus down on
the object for half a second will show the red circle and when released will
show details about the object.
- Map zooming has been improved and is much quicker.
- A warning will be given if GPS NMEA data is lost and the software will try
to reconnect to the GPS.
- There is now an option in General Settings to turn off automatic map
indexing (not recommended however).
- If you do this you must manually index the maps whenever a map is added
deleted or modified.
- If you do not manually index new maps will not be found and the software
will still attempt to open deleted maps.
- The "Index Maps" option is on the map Menu.
- The ability to use SRTM height data has been added (this was in version
2.19 but not announced).
- Only SRTM data (SRTM30 (.dem), SRTM3 and SRTM1 (.hgt)) can be used, they
must be placed in the "Data File path".
- No other types of height data files can be used.
- There are parameters available in the Screen Designer to display the
- A bug in the scale display when using the Nautical Miles / Feet units has
- Clear routes command has been added to the screen designer.
- The OziExplorerCE open file dialog is now used for all platforms not just
PocketPC. This means a KB button will now be available on Wince core devices.
- If the Scale Bar is accidentally dragged off screen it will now be pulled
back onto the screen.
- Help is now provided in one .chm file.
- OziExplorerCE help engine is now used for all platforms not just for wince
Release Version 2.19 (June 2008)
- The close button (and perhaps other buttons) on the main toolbar disabled
the hardware buttons - now fixed.
- The scale can now be moved by dragging directly on the scale window
instead of have to click on the window to show the window caption first.
- The Track Toolbar now remembers which track was last in use (the active
track) when it is activated.
Release Version 2.17 and 2.18 (June 2008)
- 2.18 - no changes, version 2.17 release did not build correctly (caused a
waypoint number problem) and required a new build and release.
- The hardware button code has been changed.
- If using a PocketPC with a phone and you want to capture the green and red
phone buttons OziExplorerCE will use gapi (gx.dll)
to capture the buttons. The gx.dll should already be on the PDA, if not it can
be downloaded from microsoft. If the phone buttons are captured by normal
means (no gapi) the PDA must be reset before the buttons can again be used by
the phone, gapi captures the buttons in a different way which avoids this
- If not capturing phone buttons the normal code is used to capture the
buttons (gapi is not used).
- Pressing the "Start Menu" button on the options menu would lock the
hardware keys - now fixed.
- Some more tweaking to sunrise, sunset and twilight parameters.
Release Version 2.16 (June 2008)
- The hardware buttons would stop working after pressing buttons on the
menubar this has been fixed.
- Fixed display of sunrise, sunset and twilight times, in some cases they
did not work depending on the time zone.
- Fixed close down issue if a reverse route was started without a route
Release Version 2.15 (May 2008)
- Changes have been made to the code that handles the hardware buttons to
fix some of the issues that have been reported. The green phone button (code
114) and red phone button (code 115) on pocket pc phones can now be captured.
- Added parameters for Sunset time at next waypoint and "end of route"
- A bug where the scale display was cut in half when initially displayed
after loading has been fixed.
- Some users desire the binary waypoint and track file still be placed in
the "Data File Path" even if this is located on a SD card. If you put a file
called wpdatapath.dat into the OziExplorer 2 folder (the file can be
empty) OziExplorerCE will detect the file and change the path for storing the
binary waypoint file and binary track file to the "Data File Path".
Release Version 2.13 and 2.14 (May 2008)
- 2.14 - IMPORTANT CHANGE - The binary waypoint file and track
tail file are now always stored in the
"Data" folder immediately attached to the "OziExplorer 2" folder. In previous
versions they were stored in the "Data File Path" which is a folder specified
by the user in configuration. This is necessary to ensure the waypoint and
track tail file are always available to OziExplorerCE. If the user specified a
"Data File Path" on a memory card and then changed the memory card the
waypoints were no longer available which is not desirable. If you have the
ceWaypoints.wpb and ceTrack.trb files in a different folder manually copy them
into the Data folder.
- A small number of PDA's are slow when saving data to SD Cards, this
version should fix that issue, an added bonus is for PDA's that were not slow
should also see some speed increase.
- When deleting waypoint sets from the Waypoint List the deletion is done
immediately, now you do not have to exit the list.
- When OziExplorerCE is loading it loads the waypoint file, this was slow if
the file only had a few waypoints but there had been many deleted. The way the
deleted files are handled has been changed so deleted waypoints no longer
influence the loading time and the waypoint file will load quicker. The speed
increase only applies to deleted waypoints from now on, files with waypoints
deleted from the older version will not have the full speed increase until the
waypoints have been used.
- The nearest Waypoint List now shows the waypoints that you are getting
closer to in green and the waypoints you are going away from in white.
- Added a new button in the Screen Designer to copy the current position to
- Added a new button in the Screen designer to Show/Hide the Waypoint names.
Release Version 2.12 (May 2008)
- Fixed bug put into version 2.11 where buttons would repeat if held down.
- Fixed minor issue refreshing nearest waypoint list when map is opened.
Release Version 2.11 (May 2008)
- Fixed Save track file name
- Added repetition to nearest waypoint list scroll buttons
- Waypoint attachments now look in the folder stored with the attachment
name, in the data file path and folders immediately below the data file path.
- Manually loading the Button file has been fixed.
- Speed monitor now has wav files added which are played when speed points
- Fixed the route ETA display for the UTC time version.
- Nearest waypoint calculation times have been improved by a factor of 5 to
Release Version 2.10 (April 2008)
release of version 2.
Development Version 2.03e (April 2008)
- 2.03e - "trip odometer" and "odometer 1" storing have been fixed.
- 2.03e - Parameters are now refreshed when map is moved by doing a single
click on the map.
- 2.03e - When saving single wp's from the wp list extras wp's may have been
also saved - fixed.
- 2.03e - Fixed Previous button on Navigation toolbar.
- 2.03e - Small toolbars now dim when screen is dimmed.
- 2.03d - Fixed Nav arrow symbol placement
- 2.03d - Nearest wp list refreshed on "Wp Import" and "Delete All".
- 2.03d - Wp Load button added to settings manager.
- 2.03d - Added UTC time parameters for ETA to settings manager.
- 2.03d - Message now displayed if the Max number of parameters is exceeded.
- 2.03c - Fixed lock-up problem when saving configuration.
- 2.03c - Added speed, heading and altitude to track replay.
- 2.03c - Added UTC option for all times.
- 2.03c - Fixed scale for Pocket PC VGA pda's.
- 2.03c - Fixed Edit Position "position format" selection.
- 2.03c - Edit box focus is not lost when keyboard is activated.
- 2.03c - Added missing keyboard button to Project Wp dialog.
- 2.03c - Fixed disappearing keyboard button when new name search file
- 2.03c - Increased font size on toolbars for Pocket PC's.
- 2.03b - Fixed settings manager when designing for large screens.
- 2.03b - Fixed keyboard disappearing when editing waypoints.
- 2.03b - Faster loading of gpx geocaching files.
- 2.03b - Parameters on map now realign themselves when map is "Expanded".
- 2.03b - added check for valid "Data File Path" folder, if it is not valid
a message is shown.
- 2.03a - Fixed issue with reading old version registration codes.
- 2.03a - Fixed issue with crashing when going to altitude or speed profile
page (please let me know if it still crashes).
- 2.03a - Fixed problem with the settings manager reading the .key2 file.
- 2.03a - Added ability to load .loc and .gpx geocaching file formats as
- Please note that if you have used a previous OziExplorerCE development
version it is advisable to delete the OziExplorer2.cfg file as this may
activate toolbars, task bars etc which are no longer part of the standard
supplied interface so there may be no way to deactivate them.
- A new version of Settings Manager is available.
- If you are using you own page file it is suggested you try the supplied
page file to see the new features.
- Note - if you have created your own page files they will need to be edited
as the size of the editing area has been increased, a map needs to be added to
page 1, a GPS satellite page and option menu needs to be added.
- The satellite page is gone and is now designed via the settings manager.
- The Option menu page is gone and is now designed via the settings manager.
- number of waypoints has been increased to 10000 - to handle this many
waypoints the drawing of waypoints has been changed. Please note that all of
the 10000 waypoints will still be processed and displayed, the limitations
below apply per screen and don't affect the usability of the waypoints for
- only 1000 waypoints can be displayed on the screen at the same time so if
you have say 5000 waypoints loaded and you use say the small world map
only 1000 of the waypoints will be drawn. This is done to make the screen
refresh times acceptable.
- If the number of waypoints to be drawn on a screen will exceed 100 then
the waypoint names will not be drawn to reduce clutter.
- If the number of waypoints to be drawn on a screen will exceed 250 then
the waypoints are drawn as a small dot to reduce clutter.
- Page 1 is now no different to any other page and now a map must be added
to page 1 using the settings manager, in previous versions it was added
- New button styles are available
- glyphs can be added to buttons
- translucent buttons
- round buttons
- A new menubar has been added, this is the main interface for OziExplorerCE
and replaces the menu and toolbar.
- The main toolbar is now available as a larger popup toolbar. The small
main toolbar is now not displayed at all. It can be activated by adding a
button in settings manager but is generally not used.
- A popup toolbar for Route Navigation is also available by adding the
command to a settings manager button.
- The program menu bar is hidden by default . This has been replaced by the
new menubar which can also display the menus. A button can be added by the
settings manager to display the normal program menu if desired.
- The menubar, main toolbar and navigation toolbar configurations are stored
in text files in the "System Data" folder. These files can be manually edited
to change the commands for each button. New glyphs for the buttons will need
to be created as well.
- The task bar is now hidden by default, a button command can be added by
the settings manager to display it. A button can also be added just to display
the Windows "Start" menu.
- The status line (position and gps details) has been removed - these
parameters must now be added via the settings manager.
- The file which stores the hardware button assignments and screen control
button assignments is now called "OziExplorer.key2", you will need to create a
new file with the settings manager to set the hardware button and screen
- The hardware button assignments in the settings manager now allow the ID
number of the hardware button to be changed.
- Tomtom .ov2 poi files can be loaded.
- Proximity Alerts can be added to waypoint sets, button available on wp set
- Max and min parameters are now stored when program is closed.
- Odometer state is stored when program is closed and reinstated when
program is started.
- The last active page is stored when program is closed.
- When a waypoint is added and auto properties is set on the wp creation can
be cancelled by clicking on the dialog X.
- Fonts can now be added direct into the OziExplorer folder, when OziCE is
started the fonts are read and can be selected using the "General Settings"
- The System toolbar is gone.
- Bug in KB (keyboard) button has been fixed.
- Screen brightness can now be set, buttons are available in the settings
- The screen can be locked (Slide to unlock).
- On PocketPC's the display can be turned off, press any button to turn on.
- Fixed bug in track datum on logged tracks.
- For High Resolution PDA's such as the HP 310/312 or VGA Pocket PC's
running in "true VGA" mode where the toolbars and dialogs appear too
small, if you put a file called hires.dat in the folder where
OziExplorer is installed, OziExplorerCE will detect the file and change the
size of its dialogs and other windows to suit devices with high resolution
screens. Please note - this does not necessarily apply to Pocket PC's with VGA
screens, OziExplorerCE already recognizes these PDA's and automatically
adjusts. If you have loaded a utility to change the Pocket PC VGA to "true
VGA" then adding the hires.dat file may help. OziExplorerCE cannot fix all the
size issues because many are controlled by the operating system.
- many, many other changes and fixes.
Development Version 2.02 (January 2008)
- New version of Settings Manager is available.
- All the issues of buttons not working / being drawn at the wrong locations
should now be fixed.
- Fixed bug where transparent parameters were not drawn at the correct
- Added sound when waypoint created - "wp_create.wav" in the Sound Files folder.
The sound can be changed by using a different wav file renamed. The sound can
be removed by deleting the sound file.
- Added additional buttons to the Settings Manager to reset Odometers without a confirmation dialog
- sound is played when reset - "odometer_reset.wav" in the Sound Files folder.
The page files we provide use the buttons which require a confirmation, you will
need to copy and modify the supplied page files to change the buttons to have
- The "Satellite" page can now be turned off on the "Page Selection" dialog
- however it will always show until the GPS has a valid fix.
- Management of waypoints has been significantly changed, see the help
section below for details.
- Management of the track displayed on the map (now called "Track Tail") has
changed, see help section below for details.
- MGRS position display format has been added.
- Display of the current Position in various ways has been added to the Settings
- The ability to "project" a waypoint from current position or another
waypoint has been added. "File / Waypoints / Project New Wp" menu option.
- New options have been added to the "Map / Screen / Screen Control" menu as
- Hide Toolbars - If ticked when the Screen Control is activated the
Toolbars will hide, when unticked any toolbars which are visible will stay
- Has Priority - If ticked the Screen Control buttons will have
priority over any option buttons under it, when unticked the option buttons
will have priority.
- Added the ability to move to specific page numbers as commands for the
- Added a "Nearest Waypoint List" as a parameter to the Settings
Manager. This can be placed on any page and shows the waypoints in a
scrollable list in order of distance from current position. Buttons are
provided to show a selected waypoint on the map and to "Go to" the waypoint.
The Nearest Waypoint List has been added to our standard page files.
- Many other minor issues have been fixed.
Development Version 2.01 (December 2007)
- For Pocket PC's, full screen mode now works on all pages which have a map
on the page.
- Screen Control now works on all pages except the options and satellite
- If a page file is loaded which is meant for a PDA with a smaller screen,
any map windows on the page are expanded until the parameters fill the
available area. If there is no map window on the page the parameters are
centered on the screen. While this does help the best option still is to
design a set of pages to suit the screen size of your PDA using the Settings
Manager. This only works with page files created with Version 2.01 of the
Settings Manager, if you load them into the Settings Manager and resave they
will be ok.
- When put into full screen mode (Pocket PC's only) or the Main Toolbar is
turned off the pages are also resized if there is a map window on the page.
- The OziExplorer.key1 file has been fixed and now contains button defaults
for the screen control.
- This was in the previous version and wasn't mentioned - the number of
loaded waypoints has been increased to 2000 and you can keep loading waypoint
files until the limit is reached.
- Changes have also been made to the Settings Manager and a new version is available for download.
- Many other smaller issues have been fixed.
Development Version 2.00 (December 2007)
There have been numerous changes, below is a list of just some of the major ones.
- Multi page support with screens that can be designed by the user using a
program which runs on a PC.
- More than 50 new parameters have been added.
- Profiles for altitude and speed.
- If the Communication Port is set to "Auto" it will search all
serial ports at all baud rates for a GPS which
is outputting NMEA.
- Compass for navigation to next waypoint.
- 3 Odometers are available for measuring distance.
Beta Version 1.12.3 (August 2005)
- Made changes to the loading of large ozfx3 map images, they now load much
- Fixed problem where the log book distance setting could not be saved.
Beta Version 1.12.2 (July 2005)
- Fixed problem where the time for track points was not being collected
(since version 1.12.0).
- Fixed problem with moving map on certain Handheld PC's.
- other minor fixes.
Beta Version 1.12.1 (July 2005)
- Added the ability to calculate the geoidal separation value so the correct
altitude from mean sea level can be calculated (this is useful for some SIRF
based gps receivers which do not send this value).
Beta Version 1.12.0 (June 2005)
- Fixed the problem with automatic map changing when using ecw map images.
- Fixed a problem with loading ecw images, after loading a few maps the load
would eventually give problems.
- Fixed the problem with elapsed time logging of a log book entry.
- Versions of OziExplorer are available for PDA's using WinCE version 2.0
onwards, however WinCE versions less than version 3 have some restrictions
because the compilers for these versions do not have the necessary functions.
- the log book does not support creation of the image.
- Log Book entries now record the altitude.
- Added additional options to the General Settings Configuration to change
the font size of the Zoom Number and the Map Name displayed on the map. The
option also gives the ability not to display these items.
Development Version 1.11.6h (May 2005)
- Fixed the full screen problem and screen rotation problem (for those PDA's
with screen rotation ability) when using ecw map images.
- Fixed problem where zoom levels on ECW images can fail and close the file.
This only happens with ecw images on PDA's with VGA resolution screens because
of the large amount of memory needed to load the required image section. The
ecw dll's also need quite a large chunk of memory making the problem worse.
Development Version 1.11.6g
- Fixed many of the screen display problems associated with the full screen
- Name Search display on map functions will now work when the GPS is
connected but GPS Tracking is disabled (if not already disabled GPS tracking
will be automatically disabled when using these functions).
- To disable GPS Tracking the map must now be dragged 20 pixels (instead of
3 in previous version). This is to avoid accidentally disabling tracking just
by touching the screen.
Development Version 1.11.6f
My apologies for not including user
configurable display parameters in this version, they are close to being
finished but I needed to release a version to make some of the changes below
- Fixed waypoint selection from route list
- Fixed overlaying text on Page button on Screen Control
- Fixed the problem where the screen control page button always returned to
the same page.
- Added support for Kompass maps in the ozfx3 image format. The new version
of img2ozf (3.00 or later) is required to convert Kompass maps.
- Added support for BSB4 maps in the ozfx3 image format. The new version of
img2ozf (3.00 or later) is required to convert BSB4 maps.
- Added a user configurable datum for position display and edit.
- Added the ability to apply the altitude correction for SIRF based gps
receivers. This option can be found on the SIRF tab of the NMEA (GPS)
configuration dialog. This can only work if the GPS is also outputting the
Geoidal separation value. Recent models do output this value, older models do
- Added the ability to check for the $GPGGA and $GPGSV NMEA sentences and
turn them back on if they are missing. This is only for SIRF based gps
receivers and is only necessary because some other software programs turn them
off and do not turn them back on when they exit. This option can be found on
the SIRF tab of the NMEA (GPS) configuration dialog in OziExplorerCE.
- Made the main window of OziExplorer keep the focus so the hardware
buttons always work.
- Added a new Toolbar (called the System Toolbar) for the Full Screen and
GPS Tracking buttons.
- Added a full screen mode, this is accessed from the System Toolbar or by holding the stylus on the
map until the menu appears, the Full Screen option is on the menu. The Full
Screen option can also be assigned to a hardware button.
- GPS Tracking can now be turned on and off (the gps is still connected but
will not automatically center the map). This is accessed from the System
Toolbar or by holding the stylus
on the map until the menu appears, the Track GPS option is on the menu. The
Track GPS option can also be assigned to a hardware button.
- When the PDA time is set from the NMEA message I wait until valid NMEA
data is being received, this should avoid an incorrect time being set.
- Added the Vicgrid94 map grid (for Victoria Australia).
- Many other minor changes.
Development Version 1.11.6e
- Fixed the problem with the speed not displaying.
- Fixed the problem where the Altitude display was too long for the screen.
Development Version 1.11.6d
- Fixed the moving map pointer.
- Fixed many other minor items.
Development Version 1.11.6c
- Fixed the buttons on the Waypoint List dialog which were not working.
- Added support for high resolution VGA displays for PDA's (running Pocket
PC 2003 Second Edition). This required numerous changes to the code (many
hundreds) to make OziCE high resolution aware. No doubt I have missed making
some changes and have done others wrong. Please not that I have not tried this
on an actual PDA (waiting for a new VGA capable PDA to arrive) but have used
it on the development emulator.
Development Version 1.11.6b
- Changed the way OziExplorerCE uses the serial port. Previous versions of
OziExplorerCE (for the last 6 years) used the event interface of the serial
port API. The event interface gives the most efficient control of the serial
port. However some of the device drivers written recently for new devices such
as SDIO GPS receivers and Bluetooth serial ports on some PDA's seem to have
problems with the event interface to the serial port (it does not work).
OziExplorerCE now uses polling of the serial port from within a thread to
overcome these problems with certain device drivers.
- Added support for variation to the ozfx3 image format which the next
versions of Map Merge and Img2ozf will create. This variation of the ozfx3
format will be quicker to load and change zooms.
Development Version 1.11.6a
- On PDA's with PocketPC 2003 using the Widcomm Bluetooth drivers the map
could become corrupted as it scrolled. This was not the fault of OziExplorerCE
but some sort of interaction with the bluetooth drivers causing threaded code
not to execute correctly. A workaround to mask the problem has been done.
- Added support for ozfx3 image files
- Added support for ECW map images. Because the code libraries available
only suit the ARM cpu the ECW support is only available for PDA's with ARM
cpu's. The speed of ECW scrolling will be slower than ozf2/ozfx3 maps so if
speed is important convert the images to ozf2 if possible.
- The buttons on the PDA can now be configured by the user to do tasks
selected from a list. The Screen Control buttons can also be configured. This
is done from a separate program which runs on the PC and is available for
- There is now a logbook function which can be configured to automatically
log position, date/time, and other parameters when the configured conditions
are met. A snapshot of a small portion of the map can also be taken. The Log
Book configuration is on the File/Configuration menu, the other Log Book
functions are on the Map/Navigation menu. You must have an entry in the Log
Book before it can be viewed. To make a manual Log Book entry use the
Map/Navigation/Log Book Entry option.
Beta Version 1.11.4
- Changed the way OziExplorerCE writes its configuration files. They were
being written as 8 bit ASCII characters, this caused problems with the
language versions of Windows which use 16 bit characters (wide characters),
the text in the configuration files was scrambled. OziExplorerCE now writes
all its configuration files using wide characters.
- What does this mean
- People with these versions of Windows can now use OziExplorerCE
- All configuration files have been changed in name (from .ini to .cfg),
this means some minor configuration parameters will be lost. The main configuration
file OziExplorer1.ini will be used until the new OziExplorer1.cfg file is
created (by pressing the OK button on a configuration dialog). After the
OziExplorer1.cfg file is created the OziExplorer1.ini file can be deleted.
- It is suggested that you check the configuration parameters to make sure
they are ok.
- Map Search indexes have also changed so indexing will be automatically
redone (the .fdx1 and .ndx1 files are no longer used and can be
- When turning the PDA off sometimes the communication with GPS devices is lost,
OziExplorerCE now attempts to re-establish the communication. Communication
cannot always be re-established as it may be caused by bugs in the device
drivers or the OS, this seems more likely to happen with PocketPC 2003 PDA's.
Bluetooth on PocketPC 2003 PDA's seems to be a major problem.
- The Configuration option for the communication port now only shows the
actual ports which the PDA has installed and a description of each port is
shown. Note - the PDA does not always give a meaningful description of its
ports and also shows ports which are reserved for its own internal use.
- Added a new configuration option to allow the user to specify if
Communication with the GPS is automatically turned on OziExplorerCE is started. The option is on a tab on the "General Settings" configuration
- Added a new configuration option to allow the user to specify if the
"Screen Control" is automatically turned on when communication with the
started. The option is on a tab on the "General Settings" configuration
- Added a new configuration option to allow the user to see the Pixel x,y
coordinates of the map when the stylus is pressed on the map and released
(before the menu pops up). The option is on a tab on the "General Settings"
- Added a "PDA reset" option to the Help menu, choosing this option is the
same as pressing the reset button of the PDA.
Beta Version 1.11.3
- Have written a work around for what appears to be a problem in Pocket PC
2003 - this caused OziCE to lockup if using maps on a CF card and the PDA was
turned off and on while OziCE was running and the map is then scrolled. Pocket
PC 2003 seems to loose the handle to any files which are open on a CF card
when the device is turned off and on again which means any attempt to read
the image file after that will fail.
- If using maps on a CF card the lockup occurred.
- If using maps on a CF card but also have a SD card inserted in a SD card
slot the lockup did not occur (the presence of the SD card seems to make
things work ok).
- If using maps on a SD card there is no problem.
- If using maps in main memory there is no problem.
- some internal changes to code.
Beta Version 1.11.2
- Fixed some minor memory buffer overflows in the Grid position display, the
problem only happened when the position went out of the legal values for the
grid numbers. This could cause problems on all Operating Systems but seemed to
be particularly severe on PocketPC 2003.
- When using the GGA or GLL sentence and there was not also a VTG sentence
the map position updated ok but the position at the top of the screen did not
Beta Version 1.11.1
Some users still think that you need to place map and data files in the "My
Documents" folder, this has not been necessary for quite a few versions now, any
folder can be used. To put it another way - You no longer "need" to use the
"My Documents" folder for anything unless you want to.
- Fixed a problem where when certain maps were loaded they caused erratic
behavior because of a memory buffer overrun, this problem only affected a
small percentage of maps at a particular aspect ratio so most users of
OziExplorerCE did not experience the problem.
- The create Waypoint button on page 2 of the Screen Control was not
- Made a change to the map open function, if the map cannot be opened
OziExplorer will now do a few retries, this is to try and allow for Flash card
startup times when OziExplorerCE is being started using a hardware button and
the "last map" is being loaded..
Development Version 1.11.0
For all the changes since beta version 1.10.9 see the sections below
for 1.10.9d and 1.10.9e as well.
- The editing of positions using certain grids still did not work (example
NZG), now fixed.
- The "Navigation Info" bar now appears (if turned on) when navigation to a
Name Search record is activated.
- There have also been some other minor fixes.
- The number on the screen for the map zoom level has been made slightly
- The map name has been removed from the caption (previous development
version) and now appears at the
bottom of the map screen.
- Changes to waypoints are now checked and you are notified if you attempt
to close OziExplorerCE or load a new file without saving the changes.
- The "Direction to Steer" arrow now also works for navigation to a
- Added new commands to the OziCE API to send NMEA strings to OziCE, see the
API documentation for details.
Development Version 1.10.9e
- More problems with track replay relating to datums fixed.
- Some fine tuning of the new map searching.
Development Version 1.10.9d
- Track replay would position the track incorrectly if the GPS NMEA Output
Datum setting in OziCE was not WGS84.
- Fixed a bug when editing position formats for some grids.
- Waypoint names longer than 20 characters could cause problems - now fixed.
- Faster map searching - the map files are now indexed and the indexes are
stored in the "System Files" folder attached to the main "OziExplorer" folder.
Many hundreds of maps can now be searched in a couple of seconds.
- The "Screen Control" has been modified and now includes
- The ability to display the screen control buttons (top left of screen
turns this on and off) - screen buttons are shown as transparent over the top
of the map.
- 2 pages of screen control buttons - top middle button cycles the screens
- Added buttons to the screen control to find next "more detailed map" and
"less detailed map"
- New options on the Map menu / Find Maps to find more and Less detailed
maps (same function as the new screen control buttons).
- Added support for the Vertical Near-Sided Perspective Map projection
- The Map name of the loaded map is now placed on the window caption (may be
truncated for PocketPC devices). Palm PC's do not have a caption bar so this
Some users still think that you need to place map and data files in the "My
Documents" folder, this has not been necessary for quite a few versions now, any
folder can be used.
To put it another way - You no longer "need" to use the
"My Documents" folder for anything unless you want to.
- Some minor issues with the file open and path selection dialogs have been
fixed - mostly to do with display of the icon for rt2 files.
- The user pointer file was not being read properly if there were blank
lines in the file, now fixed.
- The ability to make a route waypoint silent has been added to the popup
menu when you press on a route waypoint on the map, this allows silent
waypoints to be created easily.
- The ability to add a normal waypoint to the end of a route has been added
to the popup menu when you press on a normal waypoint on the map.
- Normal Waypoints can now be added/inserted into a route from the Route
- Waypoint and Route Waypoint positions can now be edited.
- There is now an auto-zoom function, when you enter a route waypoint
proximity zone the map will zoom to the value specified in Route
configuration. Example you may have the map at 50% zoom for normal travel so
you can see more area but specify 100% zoom as the zoom to use when a
proximity is entered. There are new options on the Route configuration dialog
to control this.
- The playing of the distance to the next turn (when you enter a route
proximity zone) is now linked to distance travelled, it will no longer keep
repeating the distance if you are stopped.
- Added special UTM zone handling for zones 31V, 31X,33X,35X and 37X.
- The moving map user pointers now work differently. You can now have many
different pointers, the files must have a .mmp file extension and the file
names will appear in the list of pointers you can select on the Moving map
Configuration dialog. In the last version the user pointer file was called
"userpointer1.dat" you must rename this file to a different name but with an
extension of .mmp example aeroplane.mmp
- There is now a simple API available for OziCE to allow programs to be
written to place multiple symbols on the map, useful for displaying multiple
vehicles on the map at the same time.
- In some circumstances the new OZF2 images showed extra garbled map on the
right and bottom of the image, now fixed.
- Distances in the route list and the list of tracks did not display
correctly when the units were nautical miles, now fixed.
- An incorrect message was displayed if the Com port could not be opened,
- For "Air" mode the speed now displays as a whole number for speeds greater
than 10 and 1 decimal for speeds less than 10.
- For "Air" mode the bearings now display as whole number with leading zeros
- example 23.6 degrees now displays as 024.
- Fixed some tooltip text.
- Fine tuned the scale window some more, should be ok now.
There have been numerous internal changes to OziExplorerCE code to allow the
changes below to be added. I have no doubt that we will also have added some
bugs, if you find any let us know and they will be fixed quickly.
- Added a Waypoint Toolbar
- Create Waypoints on screen with the stylus.
- Turn On/Off automatic waypoint logging - defaults to On - option is
on the "File > Waypoints > Log Waypoints to File" option
- Added a Track Toolbar.
- 5 additional tracks are now available - accessed from the Track Toolbar - a total of
20000 track points can be loaded (the total sum of all points in the 5
- The track in the previous version is still available and still has the
previous limit of 1000 points (keeps the last 1000) - this track is
exclusively used for logging the track from the Gps for display on screen (the
Memory Track Log). Remember the Gps track can still be logged to the Track Log file (ceTrack.plt)
with an unlimited number of points.
- The logged track (if large) now loads much faster at program Startup (if
you have the "Load Track Log" ticked in General Settings configuration).
Remember it only loads the last 1000 track points into the Memory Log Track.
- Turn On/Off automatic track point logging - defaults to On - option is on
the "File > Track Log > Log Track to File" option - in the previous
version you had to set the log distance to 0.
- Create track points on screen with the stylus.
- The Track Configuration dialog has options for the 5 new tracks.
- There is a dialog which shows the details of each track - description,
number of points, length of the track.
- The track detail dialog is useful for measuring distances - draw a track
from point A to point B - open the list of tracks and the distance is shown.
- Removed the Delete button from the Route Create Toolbar - deleting is now
done by holding the stylus on the object for 1 second to get a menu and then
select the Delete option on the menu.
- The Delete button has been replaced by a button to Show/Hide the Waypoint
- Extra levels of zoom have been added - 90%, 80%, 70%, 60% and 40%". These
additional zooms can be selected in the "General Settings" configuration.
- The zoom levels 90%, 80%, 75%, 70%, 60%, 50% and 40% are created "on the
fly". Currently the 75% and 50% zooms can be included in the ozf2 file, there
is now no need to include them, this reduces the size of the file
considerably. However if the zooms are in the ozf2 file they will be used in
preference to the ones created "on the fly".
- To make these zoom levels look ok they are smoothed using a bilinear
filter. Slow PDA's may not be able to handle the smooth zoom option. The
Smooth Zoom can be turned off in the "General Settings" configuration.
- Drag objects (waypoints and track points) on screen with the stylus.
- There is a new button on the toolbar and an option on the Map menu to
Lock/Unlock the dragging of objects.
- The "Drag Map" button on the toolbar and the "Drag Map" menu option have
been removed as they are no longer needed, the map can now be dragged at any
time using the stylus.
- Press the stylus on an object for 0.5 seconds and release to see a "hint"
about the object.
- Pressing the stylus on the map for 0.5 seconds and release gives the
position of the point pressed.
- Press the stylus on an object or the map for 1 second to activate a popup
- Added extra buttons to the handheld toolbar (the PocketPC version already
had these buttons).
- Generally the operation has been fine tuned and you should find that
windows refresh quicker and so on.
- Locking up on the HP620 (and similar devices) has been fixed, this was
caused by a bug in the compiler for these devices.
- Loading waypoints on the HPC 2.00 and PPC 2.11 platform has been fixed,
same cause as above.
- Hiding the OziExplorerCE toolbar (on PocketPC) would cause the map not to draw all the
way down the screen.
- The waypoint file was being written incorrectly and could not be read properly by PC
- When reading the user datums file "datums.dat" it would not read the last
line from the file unless it had a "carriage return/line feed" at the end of
it - now fixed.
- Tooltips (hints) are now provided for most toolbar and dialog buttons.
This is for PalmPC and PocketPC only (handhelds do not have the ability). Hold
a button down and the tooltip will appear, slide the stylus off the button and
the option will not be activated.
- The ability to select a "Mode" of operation is now available on the Moving
map configuration - the Modes are Air, Land, Marine. This
results in a change in some of the terminology and also the way route
auto-prompting works, see the help for details.
- A window which displays a "Direction to Steer" arrow has been added, this
is for Marine and Air use, the option is on the Route Navigation toolbar.
- Waypoint names and descriptions can be edited via a properties dialog, the
option is on the waypoint list.
- The waypoint properties dialog can be configured to open automatically
when a new waypoint is created. This option is on the View / Waypoints menu.
- Route Waypoint names can be edited the option is on the route properties
- The distance and bearing between waypoints is now included in the Route
- The route waypoint properties dialog can be configured to open
automatically when a new waypoint is created. This option is on the View /
- Map Features and Map Comments are now displayed on the map.
- When adding or inserting route waypoints the screen is no longer centered
on the position, this makes adding/inserting new route waypoints much
- The map can be dragged without having to have the "Drag Map" option/button
activated. If you click on the map it is re-centered to the position clicked,
if you drag the stylus the map is dragged. If you are adding/insert a route
waypoint a click on the map will add the waypoint but if you drag the stylus
the map is dragged and a waypoint is not added - makes creating a route much
- The Satellite View dialog can now be set to automatically display when Communication is
started and automatically hide when the GPS obtains a fix. See the "Auto"
checkbox on the Satellite View dialog.
- If the GPS does not have a fix the letters NF are now displayed in Red on the status
- If the software is "Busy" still refreshing the screen and another NMEA
sentence is received the words "Busy" on a blue or green background is
displayed on the status line - this will only occur on slower devices.
Basically it means the incoming sentence is not processed.
- In Name Search, if the record in the database is marked as "Deleted" then
OziExplorerCE will put an "*" at the start of the record display.
- Moving Map pointer can now be set to show more of the map ahead in the
direction of travel. There are 5 levels, 0 = screen center, 1..5 shows more
map ahead. This option is called "Screen Position" and is on the Moving Map
- When the GPS looses fix the voice prompt will not be said unless the fix
is lost for longer than 5 to 10 secs.
- OziExplorerCE can now calculate the Magnetic Variation for any location
and use it if the magnetic variation is not available from the user entry on
the map or from the GPS.
- Added a special port for the Navman GPS sleeve, OziExplorer can now
automatically determine which com port the Navman is using.
- Added the Lambert Azmithual Equal Area map projection.
- Added the VICGRID grid (for Victoria Australia).
- Added support for polynomial calibration.
- "Search for more Detailed Map" option On/Off is now available on the
For changes we are considering for future versions of OziExplorerCE have a
look at the "Future Changes" page on our web site (select from the menu). Scroll
down to the OziExplorerCE section.
- Under some circumstances the use of silent waypoints in route navigation could cause the
program crash, now fixed.
- Waypoint and Route waypoint proximities were always being displayed as though the unit
was meters even though the unit setting in OziCE was an imperial unit.
- Changed the "scan for more detailed map" interval from 30 to 60 seconds, as
people are keeping more maps on larger flash cards they are taking longer to scan so it is
important not to tie up the device scanning maps all the time. We will make this a
configurable option in a future version.
- The "insert waypoint in a route" function would not always insert a waypoint,
this has been altered so a waypoint is inserted even if the absolute correct location in
the route cannot be determined, use the move buttons in the Route Properties dialog to
move the waypoint to the correct location.
- Turning on communication now turns off the route waypoint add/insert buttons.
- Turning on "Drag Map" now turns off the route waypoint add/insert buttons.
- Turning on the route waypoint add/insert buttons turns off the "Drag Map"
- Fixed proximity waypoints causing a crash if they do not have files attached.
- Fixed a couple of very minor memory leaks..
Note : The new Route auto-prompting, the new type of Route, and the faster screen
drawing techniques will be added to PC OziExplorer as time permits.
- The Help has been modified to include the new features.
- The ability to do auto-prompting along a route has been added. OziCE will automatically
tell you to turn right and left and so on as each route waypoint is approached. OziCE
works out the turn angle and direction itself and selects the appropriate symbol and wav
file(s) and even says the distance to go. Check out the tutorial help section and run a
demo of what it can do. Note this is not auto-routing, you must define the route manually,
but you do not have to define the wav files played or the symbols shown. Please note this
new feature is completely separate from the proximity setting and file attachments used in
- You can create a route within OziCE by point and click, check out the route creation
- The route in OziCE has completely changed * only one route can be loaded at a time * it
is a new type of route * a route file from PC OziExplorer can be loaded , if there is more
than 1 route defined in the file a selection dialog will allow the selection of 1 of the
routes * any routes saved will be saved in the rt2 format, PC OziExplorer cannot read this
- There is now a dialog to show the waypoints in a route (editing ability will be added in
- The Route configuration dialog now includes a new tab to allow the navigation parameters
to be entered (such as route proximity).
- New Toolbars have been added for "Route Creation" and "Route
- The screen is now redrawn without flickering (there is an option to use the old drawing
method in configuration (General Settings) if you like to see everything being drawn).
- The Text status lines now redraw without flickering.
- The drawing of objects (tracks, waypoints and so on) on the screen has been speeded up
considerable by using new techniques.
- Added a button for "Search for more detailed Map" to toolbar (pocket PC only)
- Removed Wp list button from the PocketPC toolbar - this will be added to a separate
waypoint toolbar in future.
- The Speed panel now automatically hides itself when not communicating with the GPS.
- The Navigation panel now automatically hides itself when not in Navigation mode (along a
Route or to a Waypoint).
- Added an option on the NMEA (GPS) configuration dialog to ignore NMEA strings if the
Invalid Fix flag is set to Invalid.
- Now Displays "NF" (No Fix) on the status line (instead of "ON") if
the GPS does not have a valid fix.
- There is a Voice prompt when the GPS loses and gains a Fix
- The incoming data is filtered to stop the moving map pointer (the arrow) from flickering
around when standing still.
- Faster track loading of very large track files - the bigger the file the more the saving
(note that only the last 1000 track points in the file are retained, the same as it has
- The bearing displayed on the Navigation Panel will display in the configured unit (true
or Magnetic) - if the unit is set to Magnetic but the magnetic Variation cannot be found
the bearing is displayed as True but will have a "t" appended to it.
- Fixed major memory leak when opening new maps.
- Fixed a couple of other minor memory leaks.
- Fixed Scale window bug not drawing correctly when scale changed.
- Added support for the Montana SP grid.
- 125% zoom selection from the menu fixed
- Waypoint file loaded now faster by a factor of 4.
- Track loading faster by about 20%.
- NameSearch will now work with names databases that are not exactly in our published
format - as long as the field names are the same they can be used. The MAJOR_CODE field
need not be in the database.
- The com port number can now be configured. This allows use of plug in
GPS cards which configure themselves as a serial port (typically com port 4 or com port
- A special port called "GPS1" has been created for use with
the NAVMAN GPS sleeve (at least some versions of it). Other versions use COM4 or COM5 or
similar. The baud rate may need to be set to 57600 for these units
- A PVT mode has been added for Garmin GPS Receivers.
- For PalmPC and PocketPC an "Open File" dialog has been
written to replace the standard Open File dialog provided by the System, this means any
files which need to be opened in OziExplorerCE can be opened from any folder not just
"My Documents". If you liked the "normal" Palm/Pocket PC behavior
where files can only be opened from the "My Documents" folder there is a check
box in OziCE System configuration to enable it.
- When saving files a new dialog has been added which allows the filename
to be entered/edited/selected and the folder to be chosen.
- All configuration options which require a Path now allow the path to be selected from an
"explorer" type interface.
- An "Open Recent Maps" option has been added to the File menu
- keeps the last 10 maps in the list.
- Name Search has been added - uses the same name search databases as the
- The NMEA sentences being received can now be displayed - Map menu / Display NMEA
- The Satellites being tracked by the GPS can now be viewed on screen. The GPS must output
the NMEA GSV sentence for this function - Map Menu / View Satellites.
- Can now read the user datum file "datums.dat", see the PC
OziExplorer help for details on how to create this file.
- A simple Waypoint list (more to be done) is available. It allows you to
locate a waypoint on a map, delete a waypoint, and start navigation (go to)
to a waypoint.
- The ability to navigate to a waypoint has been added, there is an
option on the View Menu to show the Navigation Information. Navigation along a route will
be added soon. Navigation to a Waypoint is specified from the Waypoint List. Cancel
Navigation is on the Map menu.
- Entering a Waypoint Proximity can now trigger the display of a Symbol
(see PSymbols folder) and play a sound file (.wav) (or any other type of file actually).
These have to be set up in PC OziExplorer which also has this functionality. In PC
OziExplorer a waypoint proximity zone needs to be specified in waypoint properties (the
distance) and the various files attached to the waypoint (see the OziCE help for details).
- A user defined moving map pointer has been added, see the file userPointer.dat,
instructions are in the file.
- More datums have been added
- More Map Projections and Grid systems have been added
- 125% Zoom added
- More buttons have been added to the small toolbar for PocketPC's (for
Name Search, the Waypoint List and Map View).
- OziCEgps - support for the D109 waypoint format for new model Garmins
- OziCEgps - support for Magellans with the time included in downloaded
tracks, the time is now read from the track.
- OziCEgps (Beta 1.01) - Fixed the problem with downloading on HP (SH3
cpu) devices. The previous version would freeze at the "Getting GPS Id" stage.
This took some time to solve and eventually I purchased a HP 680 for testing. It turned
out to be the SH3 compiler interpreting a line of code differently to the other compilers.
- OziCEgps (Beta 1.01) - Added error message if download file could not
- Fixed map find function, if there were more than 4 corner markers the maps may not be
- When a map was first loaded it would position itself incorrectly, if waypoints
and/or a track were then loaded onto the map they would be positioned incorrectly.
Everything would correct itself when the map was repositioned. This has now been fixed.
- Fixed a datum problem, this mainly affected the Ireland 1965 datum.
- Fixed a position display problem, in the Degree Minute display positions close to a even
degree (just below) would show as the full degree instead of the correct value. -152
59.812 would display as -153 0.000 .
- Added support for Tripmate GPS, untested so far.
- Added versions for the new HPC 2000 (HP 720), this is totally untested.
- Fixed bug in Checksum for NMEA string, this should reduce the bad data getting through.
- Fixed resource leak of a created font which would cause problems when OziCE was run
continuously for many hours.
- some minor fixes
- Versions developed for the PocketPC's.
- A new file format called OZF2 has been developed which allows compression to be used in
real time, see the Img2Ozf help in the OziCE help.
- Download has been done for the GPS, upload will be done later.
- Waypoints can now be saved to a file.
- Routes can be loaded and displayed on screen, this is just the start, much more to be
- The track logging now uses an auto method to collect the points, you may need to change
the track logging distance in configuration to suit the new system, see the configuration
help for details.
- Cosmetic changes to some fonts.
- Fixed bug in Transverse Mercator projection maps.
- Track loading from file assumed a Data File Datum of WGS84, now fixed to use the datum
stored in the data file.
- Fixed datum bug when loading maps in a new datum, the loaded track and waypoints were
still referenced to the old map datum.
- Added Swiss grid
- Added New Zealand grid
- Added Altitude to screen and track logging etc.
- Added more Map File paths (now 6 available)
- The map image file will now be searched for in the 2 image file paths and also in the
same path as the .map file and it will be also searched for using the same name as the
.map file but with the ozf extension.
- Major - The problem with the comms has
probably been fixed. I have been using threads (concurrent processing) to handle the comms
and process the sentences, found I was overwriting the data I was working on with the data
from the next sentence, hence random bad positions and bearings were occurring.
- Fixed a problem where the NMEA sentence type was not being saved.
- The pointer (position) on the HPC screen was lower on the screen than it should have
been, this has now been adjusted.
- Changed the "No Shutdown" feature so it only works when the device is
communicating with the GPS. If the device is not communicating then shutdown will happen
as normal depending on your device configuration.
- Made some changes to the color palette code, this looks like it has fixed the OziCE
color problems on the Phillip Nino so may fix it on other devices as well. If you device
still has color problems with OziCE please let me know and also let me know the parameters
that are reported when you select the Developer Info option on the
- Color palette handling changes have been made.
- Added new option on help menu which details the color parameters of the device, this is
an aid to debugging color problems.
- Still no luck sorting out the colors on 256 color devices but will keep trying
- Serial port input of NMEA has been modified to fix loss of characters on some devices.
- Bug in Irish Grid fixed
- British and Irish Grid now have the coordinates fixed to 5 digits
- A new option in System configuration has been added to stop the CE device from
automatically shutting down (suspending) when operating on battery only.